pink mushroom

May 24, 2007

Selective Memories

Isn't it strange how random memories come to you at the strangest times? This morning on my way to work, for some reason I remembered a day from, probably first or second grade when I went over to a friend's house. I don't know why I all of a sudden remembered that day, but I did. And it was so strange. My friend's name was (I suppose it probably still is) Emily. I distinctly remember 3 things about that day:

1) It was winter, and Emily's family lived on a lake. The lake was frozen and there was a couple of inches of snow out on the ice. We put on our snowsuits and went outside to play. As we were "drawing" a cat face in the snow on the ice out of footprints, Emily told me that her mom said that if she got her hair all wet from the snow that she wouldn't have to wash her hair. Even at the time I thought that was strange, but I vividly remember her saying this. So she proceeded to roll around in the snow until her hair was all wet.

2) When lunch time came around, her mom asked me if I wanted a hard salami sandwich or a bologna sandwich. I had never heard of salami before and had no idea what it was, so even though I hated bologna, at least I knew what it was, so I chose bologna.

3) Later that afternoon we were playing cards. I asked Emily if she wanted to play "Go Fish". She told me that she had never played Go Fish before, but wanted me to teach her. So I did. After we got sick of Go Fish, she asked me if I knew how to play "Go to the Dump". I didn't so she taught me. I quickly realized that Go to the Dump was the exact same as Go Fish, but instead of saying "Go Fish", you say "Go to the Dump".

Strangely enough my friendship with Emily didn't last much past 2nd grade. I guess I couldn't stand how freakin' dumb she seemed, even at age 8. No wonder I married a genius! This is also the girl that, in 1st grade when I won a pack of Smarties for being a Smartie asked me for one of the candies. Only hang-up was that I had just popped the last one in my mouth...but that wasn't a problem for her; I took it (it was blue) out of my mouth & she ate it!!

So that was my memory that popped into my head this morning. What's yours?

4 Comments:

At 24 May, 2007 15:56, Blogger ningyo said...

That's funny, it made me think right away of meeting you. Well, not really meeting you, but when I actually hung out with you for the first time. So even though I had gone to bible study a couple times, it was the first time I really talked with you guys.

I couldn't find a spot for quiet time in FL on Spring Break our freshman year; you and Joleen (I still don't konw how to properly spell her name) said I could join you.

You had such curly short hair and were wearing a really cute bandana and tank top and one or both where kind of a red?pink? ghingam pattern.

I rememberd because I really loved your style! Craziness. You guys were so nice to me.

Oh and I also seem to suddenly remember my friend Carolina Espinoza from the third grade, sitting on a hill and talking about some boy who liked Donatello from the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

 
At 25 May, 2007 15:59, Blogger The Goodfellas said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 25 May, 2007 16:00, Blogger The Goodfellas said...

what a fun question!

this isn't one, but it made me think of it... the other day, my kids were being pretty naughty. i told them i had something important to talk to them about, and had them all settled in ready to be chewed out a little. so i'm sitting there with a grim face, making "this is serious" eye-contact with each one (they knew they were in trouble) when all of a sudden i looked at miriam. one of her hair-ties had come loose, and so one side of her hairdo was big and rumpled and just *crazy.* when i saw her it struck me as so funny, so very very funny that i just burst into laughter. i started laughing and couldn't stop! i turned all red i was laughing so hard, and by then all the kids were perplexed. i tried to calm myself down but i couldn't so i went to the hallway and got a drink of water. when i came back i tried not to look at her, but i couldn't help it! i did and i started laughing again. by then i was howling with laughter and the class was nervously giggling, like "what's going on with the miss?"

"what is it what is it?" they all said. i couldn't say i was laughing at miriam's hair so i said the classic: "OH, i just remembered something funny that happened one time."

 
At 30 May, 2007 02:52, Blogger Jhenn said...

One time I ate so much salami i threw up and didnt eat it again until 6 years later. =D

 

Post a Comment

<< Home