pink mushroom

June 19, 2007

Tuesday Afternoon Memories

Probably one of my first childhood memories involved my older sister Jessica and a nest of killdeer eggs.

Each Spring, we would always get flocks of killdeer in our neighborhood. They would lay eggs on this big open area of grass in our yard. Well, they were always very hard to see (grass and stuff would mostly hide the eggs, and the momma & dadda killdeer weren't always around to warn you when you were approaching a nest). So anyways, one day my sister and I (I was wearing a royal blue sweatshirt & sweatpants with black ribbing, give me a break, I was like 2!) were playing in the yard. All of a sudden Jessica tells me that whatever I do, DON'T TAKE A STEP BACKWARDS!! Of course, because she told me NOT to, I did.....and squash. I smashed a nest of 4 killdeer eggs. oops. I had no idea what I had just done, so I just stood there as Jess ran to the house screaming & crying for our mom.

But really, what were they thinking, laying their eggs on the ground where they can so easily get smashed? Strangely enough, over the years they've faded away and I don't think killdeer even come around to the neighborhood anymore. Maybe they too remember that sad day.

1 Comments:

At 19 June, 2007 17:12, Blogger Abby said...

Oh man, we have TONS of killdeer in our neighborhood. We had a nest in our backyard, on the ground and I accidently smashed an egg too. Our neighbors had a nest in their landscape rock and every time she went out the side garage door, the mom and dad killdeer would attack her head! They wouldn't attack her husband, only her. Our other neighbor went over there with his tennis racket and got ride of the nest and eggs... his dog chased the mom and dad killdeer madly around the neighborhood. It was pretty entertaining.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home